Apple announced the Smart Watch last week !!!
What is Apple Watch ??
A smart watch to run in-built apps, download and run store apps, connect people, keeps track of health & fitness, keeps timing etc. Just more than a normal watch.
Can we develop apps for this ??
Yes, we can.
What are the prerequisites to develop an app for the watch ??
- XCode 6.2 in MAC with the Apple Watch Kit to develop app for the watch
- Latest version of Xamarin iOS
- Visual Studio with Xamarin Plugin installed Or Xamarin Studio
Can we develop app for Apple watch using Xamarin ?
Yes, Xamarin has released support for Apple watch KIT this week. We can use either Visual Studio OR Xamarin Studio IDE to develop app for the Apple watch.
Some key points
- We cannot install the app directly into the Watch. It needs an iPhone to get the app download, deploy and run in the watch.
- The C# code to run the app stays in the Phone and the UI elements such as images, storyboard components etc resides in the watch.
- While developing the app for watch, we need to specify the same bundle ID in the Watch app and in he iPhone app.
More references ?
- Documentation for Watch app development in Xamarin
- Watch app sample in Xamarin
- A video to start the first app